Saturday, September 09, 2006

London #2

Hope everyone is doing well...the fact that a week has passed since my last email is somewhat shocking to me in every possible way--i thought time would fly by while I was here, but literally, I feel like I am in some kind of vortex. Next week marks my 1 MONTH!!!! London anniversary...somehow, it still has not registered.
Anyway, enough with the embellishment, let me update everyone on whats been going on. I got lots of positive responses to my last email--which means everyone really liked what I sent out, or you guys are just lying to me since I am so far away...so here is try #2...
First of course, some more quick housekeeping...
INTERNET--As with everything in London, getting this into my flat has proved to be a ridiculously challenging endeavour, but, I have good news for everyone--as of today, I am expected to receive internet in my flat on Tuesday---So...everyone asking me why I can't chat on google, Skype, AOL, Apple I-chat, etc. etc. etc. there is your answer. I can use the net at my school, but they have a firewall set up for all of these instant messaging services...so don't worry...we will be chatting away to every one's annoyance really soon--Tuesday is the big day.
Now---here are the fun developments---
I saw my first official Cycling race...don't ask why, but cycling is CRAZY popular in Europe, so i decided to go to the TOUR OF BRITAIN...not quite the Tour De France, but I thought I would go watch my first official bicycle race--I was blown away by how fast these guys are flying by...in fact so fast, i was barely even to get a picture. Another thing that is shocking, is that like thousands of people crowd the streets to cheer the cyclists on---not quite what you see in America...so perhaps, next year I will be in the streets of Paris screaming my lungs out at the doped up cyclists, but we shall see.
Next, here are some pic's of various touristy stuff I did in the last email and some new stuff from this email. Basically a quick rundown--You have--
The TATE MODERN--best museum in London
Regent's Park - 1 block from my flat and gorgeous
Camden Town - Like the East Village of London--thousands of people go every weekend for 'market'--pretty cool stuff
Notting Hill - The book shop where Hugh Grant worked (I know it's cheesy but sue me)
Notting Hill Carnival - this is what I wrote about last week - There were 1 million people there that day...
St. Paul's Cathedral - Pretty self explanatory, but you gotta see it
Finally - LBS had a really cool orientation week this week--and they took us to Lord's Cricket Ground (Basically the Yankee Stadium of Cricket) - Now, I know football season started yesterday, and you will all make fun of me for liking cricket, but I LIKE CRICKET--something about the vests--anyway--The worldwide president of Proctor and Gamble gave us a very inspiring speech, and then we took a tour or Lord's - so here are some shots of me in the stadium.
Other than that, life has been amazing--Most of you know my good friend Jordan has officially moved to London as well, and his apartment is STUNNING--so I included a pic of a view from his Floor to Ceiling glass windows--i think a bunch of people are coming out in Feb. for his wedding--so prepare to be amazed.
School has started to get into full swing--but like i said earlier..i am (at least right now) still really energized to be in class and loving the lectures so far--now business statistics starts next week, so i will hold off on my grumbling until then---
Lastly, the Starr family is coming to visit me and Bruce next weekend--so my update might be a little late, but i promise we will make up for it with everything that bruce has lined up for me next week...I think we have quite an ambitious schedule to say the least.
Well, I will sign off now---GO BEARS

No comments: