Sunday, May 20, 2007

From Russia With Love...



So this is a blog entry that I have been really excited to write, because, honestly...how often do you get to go to Russia? Personally, I have been waiting 26 years...

Anyway...here is a brief catch up and a little history on yours truly...

First off...Many people do not know this, but I was born in a city called Lvov in the country of Ukraine. That being the case, my whole life I grew up speaking Russian, and not tooting my own horn or anything, still feel like I speak it not too bad after having lived in America all of my life...

Secondly, since LBS is so ridiculously global, of course an amazing Russia trip was organized by two students. So a very, very, very bug thank you to Omar and Evgenia for taking 30 eager LBS students to Russia and bringing everyone back in one piece...

The trip started off in what I now consider to be the most beautiful city in the world, St. Petersburg. The previous title holder in my opinion was Stockholm...but St. Petersburg was just another level beyond. The city was beyond description...kind of like a fairy tale of castles, cathedrals, canals and palaces.

I hope some of the pictures do it some justice, but honestly...you have to see it to believe it. Also...St. Petersburg has "White Nights"...basically...LIGHT all of the time...one of the coolest things I have ever experienced...Walking around at 11:00PM and having it be light outside is extremely surreal...

HIGHLIGHTS
1. The City - Walk around, soak it in...stare...just breathtaking to behold. Hop on a river boat cruise and revel in history...


2. The Hermitage - To call this a museum is a joke...astonishing interiors, masterpieces hanging everywhere, go for a few hours and just get lost...



3. The Summer Palace - Just when you thought you had seen it all...this comes along and BLOWS YOU AWAY...I thought it was better than Versailles...and to really put everything away...there is an entire room made of AMBER...yep...AMBER...




The food was great, the people were friendly and the nightlife was a blast. I did not know what to expect from St. Petersburg, but I am fan forever...

Now...onto Moscow...and what a better way than by night train? I thought so...It also happened to be my birthday...6 hours, 12 bottles of vodka later and an entire train FULL of wasted students we stumble in Moscow...


WHAT A CITY...I don't know about a lot of people, but most of the pictures of Moscow that I have seen revolve only around the Red Square...so when I saw this city...I was just really impressed. It is SO BIG...Some streets have 8 LANES...

Moscow sucked everyone in and refused to let go...One night we had a fantastic dinner with everyone form the trip and new incoming LBS students for next year...I had a chance to finally meet RUSGIRL...she rocks, as does her blog...I linked to it so check it out for yourselves...

HIGHLIGHTS

1. NIGHTLIFE - BAR NONE the most stunning women I have ever seen. All of the guys on the trip still cannot get over what they saw...

2. Kremlin - As many pictures as everyone has seen, it is still more breathtaking in person. St. Basil's rivals anything I have ever come across...

3. The City - Huge, sprawling and wonderful...From Gorky Park to Nevsky Prospekt...walk, wander and witness a city transforming itself...


Long story short...Russia did not disappoint in anyway or in any form. I was with some great friends and I already cannot wait to go back. I give it my highest recommendation...

1 comment:

RusGirl said...

Ed, thanks! :))